Megan is home 4 weeks now and is settling in very nicely. The lengthy, ear-piercing tantrums that left us all emotionally drained are pretty much a thing of the past. When she does get upset now she is able to stop screaming (if she needs to be reminded) or else, she is just crying like any other 3 year old who is too tired, or too hungry. She really understands a lot and has said somewhere between 50 & 75 words. some words she is just parroting and she doesn't understand or remember the meaning yet, but she does have a lot to communicate with us now. Some favorites are 'Stop it' and 'No.' what 3 year old doesn't say no to everything?
After throwing a strawberry across the table today she got her first time-out. She had to sit at the table until the timer went off 3 minutes later. She seemed to grasp the concept. I hope.
She has had so many firsts - telling us all and often that she loves us (my personal favorite), ice cream, the park, riding a big wheel, a trip to the aquarium, chewing gum (She insisted and didn't swallow - I'm sure the boys were 12 before I let them do that!), she also likes sharp knives and scissors, and her new favorite - a pink and purple ride-in car donated by some nice neighbors. The best is that she loves to giggle, laugh and tease and to say that she is happy, or kai xin. (Thank you Kai lan, and Elmo too - she finally will watch a few minutes of TV.)
She finally got into the bath tub this week too and I think she decided it is a lot more fun than the sinks, particularly the tiny bathroom sink. Right now she is washing her tea set. She is a very eager Mother's helper and follows me around with the dust pan whenever I have the broom out(which around here is about 5x per day.)
The worst of it - she will NOT sleep upstairs and is such a light sleeper that we can't carry her up or else we end up waking her. I've been on the couch now for most of the month and I really have to get her upstairs soon. However she sleeps for the most part through the night, except for some minor nightmares and although she still fights sleep, she isn't afraid to fall asleep anymore. Baby steps. She has a sense of humour too. I yelled (I know, bad Mommy) at her Thursday night because she was still spinning around and it was late and I wanted to go to couch. She got back at me. On Friday afternoon she put 2 pillows and 2 blankets on the floor and ordered me to 'lay down' in her most commanding Mommy voice. I was held captive until Ryan walked in the door.
She loves to imitate, so I really need to watch what I do and say. She is already happy to put on lipstick and blush and I luckily caught the nail polish and moved it out of reach before it got on the rug.
Here is a picture of her at about 2 weeks home, going off to a special luncheon in her honor! (Thank you Christine) And one of my favorites - one of the rare occasions she slept in her bed.
2 comments:
I'm so happy she's settling in with you. It sounds like things are going well. It is a difficult transition for the kids, and it does take time for the wounds to heal, the pain to diminish, and the fear to subside. I really think it helps as the children learn the language. But mostly it just takes time, love, and patience to show that we are worthy of their trust.
I was so excited to see this post! I know those first few months are very hard & tiring! I am so happy for you all & that she is adjusting. What a blessing!
Post a Comment